Nekka is a contemporary pop surrealist artist and illustrator whose style can be described as a range of all things cute and whimsical with a tinge of punk and bubble-goth. It’s just that bitter-sweet.
She studied Visual Communication & Illustration at UniSA and now works as a part-time freelance illustrator and part-time web designer. She is currently living with her pet parrot in Adelaide, Australia. “My studio is full of feathers, paint, and sketchbooks. It’s a beautiful, chaotic mess, but that’s just the way I like it.”
“The name “Nekka” was serendipitous: it was a special nickname given to me by my brother when he was little and mispronounced my name. It stuck ever since, and now that I have my own illustration business it is the perfect encapsulation of everything I do.”
“My aim in every painting is to take light and dark and put them together, as a way to make the beautiful creepy and vice versa. I love drawing people and animals in everyday situations with a slight eccentric and imaginative twist.
The most magical thing about illustration for me is bringing imagination to life. I love inventing characters and stories and giving them a purpose. All my illustrations explore imaginary worlds that leave an unexplained mystery.
I’ve been passionate about illustration since childhood. The most magical thing about illustration for me is bringing imagination to life. I love inventing characters and stories and giving them a purpose. My favourite part of a project is constructing its narrative background. I have a neverending fascination with colour and exploring unique compositions. I think those are the two major elements that inspire my work.”
- Bachelor of Visual Communication (UniSA)
- People of Paperblanks, Endpaper Blog (27 March, 2018)
Exhibitions & Shows
- Supanova, Adelaide (November 2017)
- Oz Comic Con, Adelaide (April 2017)
- 32nd Edition Visual Communication Graduate Exhibition, Adelaide (Nov 2015)
- 32nd Edition, University of South Australia (2015)
- Dotyk przeznaczenia. Część I, Rafał Tomczak, Novae Res (2015)
- Hahndorf Inn Season’s Specials Flyer (2016) Illustrations for Hahndorf Inn season’s special flyer.
- Hahndorf Inn Fun Map (2016) Illustrations for Hahndorf Inn fun map.
- Melbourne Cup Poster (2015) Poster design for Hahndorf Inn.
- Dythea & Travis (2015) Illustration for wedding invitations.
- Oktoberfest (2015) Poster design for Hahndorf Inn.
- Hahndorf Inn Kids’ Menu (2015) Kids’ menu illustration & design.
- Hahndorf Inn Menu (2015) Cover illustration and menu design for Hahndorf Inn.
- Dotyk Preznaczenia Część I, Novae Res (2015) Book cover illustration for “Dotyk Przeznaczenia” by Rafał Tomczak.